When I first start working with a client whether they are in-person or online I like to delve into a series of detailed questions to get to know their nutrition and exercise history. This gives me an idea of where I am meeting my client at in their fitness journey and together we come up with a plan to work towards getting them results. I just said ‘we’ work together because I don’t believe in writing meal plans or telling my clients what they should be eating. My job is to guide them in the most safe and effective manner towards their goals and making the habits they establish long term.
So do you have to track calories to lose weight?
The short answer is NO but please keep reading to find out why and how!
There are four foundations to an effective nutrition program:
- Quantity of food aka total amount of calories
- Quality of food. Eating Pizza vs a turkey sandwich and a kale salad.
- Macronutrient Split (the percentage of carbs, fats, protein based on their goals)
- Meal or Nutrient Timing. The amount of meals or set up of protein, fat, carbs in each meal in order to deliver a desired result.
Since we are talking about fat loss calories really matter. It’s science and called The Law Of Thermodynamics. We must expend more energy than we take in in order to lose weight. I like to program my fat loss clients to lose a healthy and sustainable .5-1lb a week by creating a deficit from exercise and calories.I am in the camp that believes you should try to eat as much as you can and workout as little as possible and still reach your goals. This is a term called the minimum effective dose, and that can be deeply delved into for another post 🙂
While I believe calorie and macro tracking is and can be very effective I never require that my clients use this method. If they get stressed out by this approach or are too busy I start at the top of this list of alternative nutritional methods and work my way down until the goal has been achieved.
If you don’t want to track calories but still want to lose weight you can do this instead:
- Focus on trimming back portions a bit from each meal and it’s usually from carbohydrates. Not that carbs are bad, I am all for carbohydrates. So instead of having bread, rice and fruit with lunch, pick one of the three and make protein the focus of the meal.
- Improve quality of food. If someone had been eating sugary breakfast bars, you know the kind I’m talking about! I would recommend they replace it with a higher protein, lower sugar bar.
- Plan a meal split that’s more satisfying to your hunger. Say you are not hungry for breakfast but feel like you have to eat breakfast so you run out the door and grab a banana and a muffin. Then you are hungry two hours later, eat again and so forth. You are actually consuming more calories by thinking I have to eat because it’s this time or this meal. An approach for something like this would be to push back breakfast a little later when you are hungry and then make meal choices based off of step 1 and 2 above. Now you have slightly decreased calories, improved food quality and feel satisfied. #success
I always make sure that I take my clients feed back from their check-ins and adjust accordingly. I also like to suggest tracking breaks or eating at maintenance calories for a short period of time to offer a little sanity break and more flexibility to continue to be consistent because compliance is KEY when it come to a solid nutrition program that delivers results!!
Final Call for my Fit and Festive Online Boot Camp and there are a few spots left!!
I’m closing registration tonight and this will be my last online group boot camp for the year.
Do you want to feel sexy and super confident in your holiday dress this year? Do you want to feel in control of your nutrition and have more energy this holiday season? Are you looking to lose a few inches and feel leaner and tighter in your midsection?You should because you deserve it!!
Ladies!! There is no better time than right NOW to make progress so you don’t feel like New Years is a “Do Over”
My highly effective six week boot camp program includes:
-Five 30 minute or less fat burning workouts that require minimal equipment and updated weekly. Your personalized training app with calendar, daily workout reminders, and progress tracking.
-Easy to implement carb cycling nutrition strategies with sample meal ideas.
-Bi-Weekly check in’s with me to ensure you are making progress.
-Private group community of like minded women with similar goals.
-Live weekly trainings.
This program is being offered at the very discounted holiday rate for all of this very effective workout + nutrition guidance and six weeks of ongoing coaching.
Let’s make this holiday season your best one yet!!
Fill out the contact form or send me an email@spingirl78@gmail to grab your spot!!